Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Roots have Branched beyond Lines


My roots have branched beyond lines.
Creeping in peace beyond Kolkata and desh*,
I’ve locked my heart in tendrils of love
That blossom through my texts
Of Shakespeare and Keats
And beckon my being
To Boston and Rome,
For I might travel, with Eliot and Pound
And sing with Heaney and Faiz
Ghazals of loss and newly fashioned hope
That branch beyond lines and soar to the sky
And splatter in a canopy of light.

Spilled beyond boxes of bureaucratic forms,
Mine is the uncompassed sail into storms.



* A Bengali word meaning land/country.

12 comments:

sayan said...

there are no borders..merely shadow lines

Robert said...

congratulations! and SHUBHO BIJOYA. MAY BE LIFE ALWAYS BE FILLED WITH GOD'S BLESSINGS

Abin Chakraborty said...

Shubho Bijoya Robert!Why no new posts?
Besties as always.

gautami tripathy said...

Roots have to branch beyond lines..it is there destiny...

Good writing..

much

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hi Abin, Sorry to leave a message under a poem, but if you want RT membership, please email Kerry. Contact details can be found on the site.

I love the way the mind expands through the lines of this poem:'I’ve locked my heart in tendrils of love That blossom through my texts Of Shakespeare and Keats And beckon my being To Boston and Rome...' I know the feeling well.

Willow said...

Beautiful, all, with the power ending, "Mine is the uncompassed sail into storms." A new word too.

ShonEjai said...

Beautifully written! Well done

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh this is so beautiful. Loved it so much! Especially "Mine is the uncompassed sail into storms." Wow.

Kay L. Davies said...

This is a beautiful poem. I love "splatter in a canopy of light" — it feels so real.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Susannah said...

Wonderful, I enjoyed reading. :-)

Marian said...

love that last couplet.

SprigBlossoms said...

Poetry, such as you write and feel, erases lines and is felt in joyous being. Cheers!